At Blizzcon, it was announced that Druids will be receiving a healing version of the current Wild Mushroom spell that is mainly used by Balance Druids as part of their AoE rotation. The idea of healing mushrooms was originally thought up by Lissanna over at Restokin. In fact, she was the one who asked the Class Q&A panel about our toolkit going into Mists of Pandaria. I can’t help but laugh because when Lissanna came back from asking her question we went straight into theorycrafting (practically ignoring the rest of the panel) and giggling like little schoolgirls. I loved it.
So, the big question is: How will healing shrooms work? There’s gonna be some work baked into the healing version of this spell. Since it’s gonna be part of our AoE healing toolkit it can’t be clunky or inconvenient. It needs to be practical, seamless, and most of all WORTHWHILE to use. Let’s take a look at our options:
Direct Healing- Our new Wild Mushroom ability could be used for burst healing which is something that currently Druids lack. Example:
- Wild Mushroom: Grow a magical Mushroom with 5 Health at the target location. When detonated by the Druid, all Mushrooms will flourish healing all targets within 10 yards of the target location for X.
HoT Healing- We could see another form of HoT healing from our Wild Mushroom. I wouldn’t be surprised if they incorporated a HoT into the spell since Druids are the main HoT class.
- Wild Mushroom: Grow a magical Mushroom with 5 Health at the target location. When detonated by the Druid, all Mushrooms will flourish healing all targets within 10 yards of the target location for X over the next 5 seconds.
- Wild Mushroom: Grow a magical Mushroom with 5 Health at the target location. When detonated by the Druid, all Mushrooms will flourish healing all targets within 10 yards of the target location for X and additional Y over the next 5 seconds.
Targeting will likely be one of the bigger issues with developing this new spell and making it successful for Druids. Currently, Wild Mushroom needs to be targeted on the ground, planted, and then detonated. It takes 3 global cds to set up the spell. It also requires enemies to be nearby for the spell to work properly. Here are a few issues I have with that type of targeting for heals.
- High movement fights will make the spell unattractive. If you drop a shroom but then players move it makes for a wasted global cd.
- It won’t work with raid frames. I heal using Healbot. I know a lot of people use other raid frame mods. You won’t be able to judge health bars by just looking at where people are standing. You might end up dropping it on someone who doesn’t need the healing.
- Have the shroom be planted directly onto the player rather than on the ground. This greatly increases the chances for the spell to be more beneficial to the raid. This also lets raid frame addons utilize the spell since it’s being cast directly onto player rather than the landscape. For balance purposes, you can maybe incur a one-shroom-per-player rule.
What do you think about healing shrooms and how do you think they should be implemented?